Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Vintage Fujis in Bike New York




Last Sunday, my daughter and I rode in Bike New York.  It was 42 miles through Manhattan, Harlem, Bronx, Brooklyn, and Staten Island.  She was in her bike trailer, and for a 3 1/2 year old did fabulous for such a long ride and day on the bike.  It was helpful that we went along with our very experienced friend Chris, who has done this ride for quite a few years now with his daughter Meg (7 yrs old).  I think you need to count on both hands how many times they have participated at this point.  Meg has done this ride on the back of her father's x-tra cycle since she was 3 yrs. old.  Chris' expertise made the logistics of getting to and from the ride a breeze for my first time.  His father, Dave, also was with us on his beautiful Bleriot.   The weather was perfect.

Of course I was keeping an eye out for some vintage fujis, and did see a few.  Besides the ones I've pictured here, I saw at least two others that I was not able to photograph due to the fact that I needed both hands on the bars at that point.  So, out of over 30,000 riders, I saw at least 5 or 6 vintage fujis.  I feel certain that there were more.  I only had a brief moment to talk with one of the people riding these fujis, and I think it was her first time on it.  She noted mine though, and commented how well her fuji allegro rode.  I think she was surprised by that.  It's performance surpassed her expectations of what that old bike was going to do.  Don't underestimate these older fujis.  There really is something truly special about them.  

2 comments:

Fred said...

I have a 1981 Fuji Monterey, which I bought new when I was 17 years old. Its black. The other two color options were silver and blue.

Vinny O'Hare said...

Looking to buy a Fuji Allegro like the one I did the 5 borough bike tour back in 1990 or so.

If you know of any let me know.