Monday, July 27, 2015

Close Encounters of the Fuji Kind

I just realized that I have never posted about a crazy Fuji encounter I had in the fall of 2012.

On a beautiful sunny day I rode a Bikes at Work trailer back to my friend's house from whom I had borrowed it.  The trailer was empty, and even though it was quite a distance (at least 20 miles I think), it was an easy pull.  Being empty, it also kept my reflective "FUJI CAZY" license plate in full view.  It is thanks to that license plate that I can even tell this story.

I was riding along Susquehanna Avenue, minding my own business (in the bike lane), when suddenly a car pulled over in front of me.  It was obvious the driver had something to say.  So, I slowed down, and prepared my defenses as my imagination began producing all sorts of scenarios.

He exited the driver's side door with a beaming smile.  Thankfully there was nothing to defend.  He immediately asked, "Why are you so Fuji Crazy?"  I couldn't believe it.  I was astounded, but its a pretty simple answer, so I matter of factly replied, "because I could find these older bikes inexpensively but they are a good, quality bike."  The conversation didn't really get much beyond that, but he took a quick pic, and gave me his card.

As he drove away with a friendly wave, I read his card... "president of Advanced Sports Intl."  which is the company that owns Fuji!

Turns out he knew my friend too.  It really is a small world after all.

No comments: